Mount Tamalpais State Park
Saturday, August 6, 2011
Rifle Camp, Hoo-Koo-E-Koo, Bootjack, Colier Spring, Potrero Camp, Hogback, Cataract, Laurel Del, Mountain Theater, Old Mine Trail - Mt. Tam offers both mystery, scenic vistas, and mostly shaded trails.
We have been invited to join the friendly trail runners of BARF (Bob & Rick's Fun runs) as they enjoy one of their favorite routes on the upper slopes of Mt. Tam. Bob says, "Our route circles the mountain. There are flush toilets and water at the start where there is also a nice area under the trees with picnic tables for the post run potluck." This mostly shaded route offers expansive views of the Pacific, Bay, and SF. Also, given the longish drive, its an ideal opportunity for car pooling (details below).
Bob's suggested driving directions follow. However, his route (Highway 1 to the beach) is more miles and is predicted to take longer (85 minutes) than the route suggested by Google Maps. The car pool departure time is based on Google's estimate of 70 minutes (from the carpool location) for the drive. Bob's suggested route (leave a few more minutes for the drive if you take this beautifully scenic route):
- 101 North across the Golden Gate.
- After 4 miles north of the Gate, exit 445B - Mill Valley / Stinson Beach.
- Continue on Hwy 1 north toward Mill Valley / Stinson Beach.
- After 1 mile, go left at the light onto Hwy 1 north toward Stinson Beach.
- Follow Hwy 1 as it winds up the hill and after 3 miles,
- turn right on Panoramic Blvd. to Mt Tam.
- At the next 4-way intersection,
- continue straight on Panoramic up the ridge to Mt. Tam.
- Continue another 4.1 miles on Panoramic and then
- turn right into the paved Bootjack parking lot.
- (If you reach the top of the ridge at Pantoll, you've gone 0.5 miles too far).
What A longer (11 miles) and an intermediate route (9 miles).
This is a remote trail run and each runner must carry at least one water bottle. Water is available at the start but not along the route.
To avoid having to search for runners who don't return in a timely fashion, we ask that you find other runners of approximately the same running ability and form a group. We will try to help facilitate this.
We will have a simple runner's potluck after the run, so please bring some food or drink to share.
More Info/Questions: Contact Ron Wolf
I have not created maps for this run, but detailed trail directions follow. As well we will likely be accompanied by BARF runners who know the route and we will regroup often.
Full route (11 miles):
- Starting at Bootjack, go right on Matt Davis,
- Continue past Nora trail
- After 2.1 miles, go left up Hoo-Koo-E-Koo trail.
- Cross over Hogback Rd. and continue on Hoo-Koo-E-Koo.
- When you reach Railroad Grade Rd., go left.
- At the next intersection go right down the Hoo-Koo-E-Koo Rd.
- After about a mile, carefully look for the single track Wheeler trail on your left.
- Climb up and up Wheeler
- At the end of Wheeler, go left up Eldridge Grade Rd.
- After about a mile take the next right and after a short ways you will reach Inspiration Point,
- Pick up the single track North Side trail.
- Follow North Side trail to Colier Spring.
- At Colier Spring take the Upper North Side trail to Rifle Camp.
- At Rifle Camp, stay right, cross the small footbridge, and go up through the picnic area,
- then go left on the Rock Spring / Lagunitas road.
- After a short way you will reach the beginning of Potrero Meadow where you will go right on the single-track Kent trail to Potrero Camp.
- At Potrero Camp, go left up the road, then
- Go right on Laurel Dell Rd.
- When you reach Laurel Dell turn left to the bathrooms and follow the single track Cataract trail just right of the bathrooms.
- Stay right at the next intersection and continue to follow Cataract along the creek another 1.2 miles to Rock Spring.
- At Rock Spring, go left at the large, paved parking area,
- cross the paved road and go up Mountain Theater Fire Road.
- At the top, go straight down the other side on the single-track Old Mine trail.
- At the bottom, cross the small paved road and go left on Matt Davis trail.
- Follow Matt Davis 0.5 miles back to Bootjack.
9 mile variant:
- Approx. 9.0 miles if from Rifle Camp,
- Go left on the Rock Spring / Lagunitas road until you reach a paved road.
- Cross the paved road, go through the dirt lot, and
- follow the trail in the trees on your right to Mountain Theatre.
- At the right side of the theatre, go left on Bootjack trail and follow it down to Bootjack
Saturday, August 6, 2011
You need to be a member of Palo Alto Run Club to add comments!
Join Palo Alto Run Club